Reconstruct Reconstruct

Nice dude, cool sounds all around in this one. Reminds me of a Sega Genesis game, the type that I would probably play the shit out of, lol. Something's up with the Newgrounds Audio player lately, have you noticed that? Loops with really tight end>start transitions are being distorted, like the player cuts off a tiny section of the ending. Is that just me? Either way, great work here.

TheDukesDepot responds:

No, I've noticed it too. :T They did something with the looper in the new update, and I don't like it. I understand that running a website is hard as hell and time consuming, but I would like to see this fixed at some point. Thank you for the kind words. I love when my songs remind people of nostalgic times for them, and especially love when the memories are of video games.

A message to my loyal fans A message to my loyal fans

Haha, the category is the best part of this in retrospect. Easy listening indeed. You pretty much nailed the "transmitter radio" sound quality, you're getting pretty good at mixing. ;)

TheDukesDepot responds:

Really great to here that. Thank you. :)

Circus Cat and the Polka Puppy Circus Cat and the Polka Puppy

Lol, love it, the carefree style is such a wonderful contrast after listening to "Journey of John." You're a very diverse composer.

TheDukesDepot responds:

My diversity is always something I wanted to improve since I started composing. I'm really glad to hear it's actually improving. ^^

Journey of John (Johnfn) Journey of John (Johnfn)

Oh my god, this is lush and beautiful, and I wish I could live in this place that you've conjured, you wicked sorcerer, you. Easily one of your best pieces. That place in the middle, from around 01:00 to the end, that is a true dreamscape. It feels so familiar to me, yet somehow foreign as well. It's the type of emotion that you find in pieces by Japanese musicians at the end of the 19th century, during the "enka" period when Western influences were being mixed with traditional pentatonic harmonies. Truly a magnificent piece of music.

TheDukesDepot responds:

This review made me smile. Thank you. :)

Incognito (dnb loop) Incognito (dnb loop)

There is a frequency in the bass that's a little harsh, find it and cut it a little bit, and maybe give it more definition with a little mid/treble. People listening through small speakers or a laptop can't even hear it, and it's a very cool bass line, so try to define it more in the EQ spectrum. Other than that this is really nice, that transition from end to beginning is smooth as butter, I could listen to this all day. Perfect for room/area BGM in a flash game.

TheDukesDepot responds:

I fully agree. I think I honestly rushed bringing this one out just so I could not let this profile die. X)

Verity over Vitality Verity over Vitality

Woah, now this is something man. I love, love, LOVE this ambience. This is the type of stuff I'd want to hear on psychedelics; everybody goes crazy for Shpongle and the like, but I prefer something like this. More subtle, more ambient. That section at the end definitely needs to be longer, really explore that sound because that's the point when I feel the song goes from "trippy" to "downright groovy", and I want to hear a little more of that groovy. Excellent work!

TheDukesDepot responds:

Glad you like the song. I wanted to give off this feeling of the city in the evening just as the sun sets into the dark night. A man walking in the street who has just figured out the secrets of the universe and can no longer look at things the same way kinda vibe.

I think I might have figured out something that could work with this song to give it that groove thing you're talking about. I'd have to experiment with it; but I think I could do something. Thanks for the review. ;)

Awe-full Awe-full

This is beautiful. I agree with RealFaction though, it's definitely missing something. For me, it seems to be that bass voice that we hear from 00:12 to 00:50. I tend to think of the voices like characters in a story. It seems like this guy introduces himself in the beginning, but never reappears again, and that kinda makes me sad because he adds a lot of personality to the piece. He oughta come back around 01:10, and really strut his stuff along with those synth-pop thump drums.

All of the beautiful, floating voices on the high end really need his funky, down to earth perspective to help round things out.

TheDukesDepot responds:

I fully agree. Should come back to this one at some point and do something better with that.

The Tool Matters Not The Tool Matters Not

Ha! This is fucking awesome man, I love this old school hardcore VG style. Those guitars come in and I'm thinking "oh yeah, here we go." Boss Battle vibe all the way. I'd take the guitar section a step further, maybe give the drums a double tempo feel and a lead guitar doing some tweedley-deedlies at the end. It feels like the guitars are building up for a more climactic section that never comes: give us that climax, and then mellow it back out at the end before looping back to the beginning. Nice work man!

Spacial Simplicity Spacial Simplicity

Very nice use of range and "audio space" here, every things fits together very nicely, the individual voices aren't competing with each other for pitch range, and the timbres compliment each other nicely. I especially like the 'tinkley' sounds on the high end and the way they contrast with the melody in the middle voice. At first I thought that it could use a little something in the low to sub frequencies, but now I'm thinking that that would probably detract from the overall atmosphere of the loop.

I would work on smoothing out the transition between the end of the song and the beginning; that is the most crucial part of a loop. You have very nice motion and progression up until that point, but when the song cycles back over that smooth motion is destroyed. If this was to be used as BGM for a flash project, that jump in voice range would be distracting for the player/audience. I'd bring that sine wave lead back at the end, with a little upwards run or something to lead into the beginning again. This is where voice leading becomes very important; you want to bring those voices closer together for the transition, so it's not this huge pitch leap that startles the listener. A common method is to end a repeated section with a run that leads back into the first section, by forcing the last note of the run to be a half-step below the first note in the song (that note's Leading Tone).

TheDukesDepot responds:

Agreed. I'll see what I can do. :)

You don't wanna You don't wanna

Power Blues!

Don't hear a lot of this stuff on Newgrounds, I fucking love it. The cigarette-lighting/zippo noise at 02:08 was pure gold, little things like that in a recording really set the atmosphere, and I think it was absolute genius to light a cigarette at that point in the song....I gotta say, I was expecting a guitar solo at that point, and if you guys ever remix this you should include a really smooth, bluesy solo at that point in the song, right after lighting the cig....like the guitar player is saying "Hang on, lemme light up before we get into the nitty gritty."

Lundsfryd responds:

I like the way you are thinking. We like this song as it is and have moved on but I would say as a live sort of gag then it would be pretty badass. Thanks for the 10. Really nice of you.